Ada is a traditional Kerala recipe and we usually serve this as a snack.It is made of coconut and grated jaggery,which is layered inside the wheatflour paste.Later the paste is folded with banana leaf.It can be made in wheat and rice flour.My mom makes with atta/wheat flour and she fills it with coconut and jaggery and it is pretty easy to make.
Here is the recipe for wheat flour ada/ottada.....
- Wheat Flour/Atta-2cup
- Jaggery/sharkkara/vellam(grated)-2/3cup(Adjust the sweetness)
- Coconut(grated)-1/2 cup
- Water-as required
- Salt -a pinch
- Banana leaves-without central strip
- Mix the atta flour and salt.Add enough water and keep combining until you get a sticky,slightly elastic,loose dough .It should neither be watery nor hard like for chapathis.But make sure you don't go to either extreme and not to knead too much.
- Add the grated jaggery to the grated coconut and combine with finger tips.
- Take a clean rectangular banana leaf.Scoop out a portion of the dough.Spread it with your fingers on a banana leaf.Dip your fingers in water and try to spread it.
- Put some coconut jaggery mix and spread it on the ada.
- Fold the banana leaf in half carefully.
- Heat a flat pan/tava.Toast the ada on both the sides till the banana leaf turns brown and the ada detaches from the leaf.Toast till the golden brown spot appears on the ada.
- We can use parchment paper instead of banana leaves to make this dish.
- Spread the dough on a rectangular banana leaf as thin as possible.