This is my favorite chicken curry,and of course its my mom's style of preparation.This dish is one of the most common side dishes made in Kerala.It has amazing flavors emanating from the shallots,curry leaves,ginger,garlic and spices like cinnamon,fennel seeds,cardamom and cloves.It is a simple and very easy to cook curry that goes well with steamed Rice or with any Indian breads.
Here is the Recipe.
- Chicken -1kg(cut into medium sized pieces)
- Small onion/shallots(sliced)-15
- green chilly-2 (sliced lengthwise)
- ginger crushed-1''piece
- garlic crushed-7-8 cloves
- bay leaf-2
- cinnamon-1'' piece
- fennelseeds-1/2tsp ,crushed
- curry leaves- 2sprigs
- turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- chilly powder-1.5tbsp(according to your spice level)
- coriander powder-2tsp
- garam masala powder- 1tsp
- vinegar/lemon juice- 1tsp
- salt to taste
- Wash and clean chicken pieces.Drain out water.
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder,lemon juice,1/2tsp garam masala powder and salt.keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Make a paste of chilly,coriander and turmeric powders with 2-3 tbsp of water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf, cardamom,cinnamon,cloves and saute for a minute.Add ginger,garlic and saute.Add sliced onion.Fry till golden brown on a medium to low flame.Add chopped tomato(optional) and curry leaves.Saute well.
- Now add the spice paste and saute well until the raw smell disappears and the oil starts to separates on the top.
- Now add chicken pieces,salt and stir well for few minutes and then add half cup of hot water,cover it and allow the chicken pieces to cook well.
- Depending upon the consistency of the gravy,add water. Simmer it for 5 more minutes.Sprinkle 1/2tsp of garam masala powder(to get the aroma of spices)and adjust the salt.This slow- cook process will take 15-20 minutes.Switch off the heat.Allow it to rest for about 30 minutes before serving.